At Bikmo, we love new cycle-related gadgets and tech so when Kirk, James, and Barry from Busby got in touch we were all ears and excited about what they could achieve. They wanted to build an app which could connect all road users and, if the worst happens, let those close to you know you’ve been in an accident – and they’ve done it!
The app is super simple to use, all you have to do is sign up for free with your email, open up the Busby app, press the start button, add an emergency contact and you’re done, it’ll be working at all times in the background. It means you don’t have to worry about turning it on every time you want to ride – like I said, super simple.
In the first weekend of it’s ‘soft launch’, Busby got hundreds of sign-ups, including one member who unfortunately had an accident a mere two days after download. Thankfully, as he had Busby downloaded on his phone, the accident was reported and Busby sent a message to his next of kin instantly after the collision who arrived at the location shortly after. Since then the app has helped more cyclists who have been involved in road accidents.
Once you’ve signed up to Busby and you’re riding your bike, you’ll probably be wondering how on Earth this app could one day save your life. After speaking to the Busby team, I’ve put together a 5 step guide below so you’re in the know.
- The G-force your accident creates will be recorded by your phone, which Busby will then use to interpret whether you’ve been in an accident.
- It’ll then create an alarm noise from your phone, and the incident screen which is pictured above [far right] above will pop up.
- If you’re badly hurt, you won’t be able to cancel the alarm and Busby will know you’re in danger, notifying your emergency contact using the details you entered.
- When notifying your emergency contact, Busby will also send your phone’s location so you can be easily found.
- If your emergency contact cares about you enough they’ll come and find you while ringing the emergency services – and then, hopefully, you’ll be saved!
They’re always striving to make Busby into the perfect cycling buddy and have a few more cool editions to announce soon including GroupRide for those who cycle with clubs or friends. This one is when social distancing ends – the app will let the rest of the group know when someone has dropped off the back of the chain gang or if anyone’s had an accident so you don’t leave anyone behind, so make sure you spread the word with your local cycling clubs.
It doesn’t stop there, they’re making the app accessible to other road users, especially with big corporations who have lots of vehicles on the road – so Busby can tell their drivers to watch out as you’re cycling nearby.
It was a no brainer for me, my family won’t stop nagging me about my safety on the roads… helmet… check ✔, reflectives… check ✔, and I can happily say Busby… check ✔. Now they don’t have to worry when I decide to add some more miles on the route and I’m not back in time for tea, as Busby hasn’t gotten in touch.
It’s super easy to get this sophisticated bit of tech, all you have to do is follow the link here and download the app for free – so you have no excuse for not giving it a try!